Top 5 weekend quips from HaitiRich Stigall
I regularly borrow a prayer I learned from Mike Fox. It goes like this: “Lord, please let me live long enough to go to Haiti one more time.” Jesus answered that prayer for me and 23 others from 4 states on a team that served this weekend.
And, once again, God once showed Himself so faithful and good. I don’t have the words to capture it, but with a shout out to David Letterman’s lists, here are a few of the highlight quotes…
5. “I can have a greater impact for God right here.” – GO Haiti’s Orphan Care Director when asked to explain his motivation for staying and serving when he could financially prosper in wealthier countries.
4. “I’m much more comfortable digging a latrine for children than letting one sit in my lap, but I think this weekend may be changing me.” – An owner of a construction company reflecting on his time in Haiti
3. “We’ll give you two red beads…” – from Vision Trip team members after one grandad said he was risking his retirement and his kids’ inheritance to invest in the lives of children who need family. (If you haven’t heard about GO’s bead ceremonies, just let this one pass…)
2. “Nobody.” – from an OP business lady when asked who could say they feel sorry for Haiti after she experienced Sunday’s beautiful, joy-filled worship service at church.
1. “I just want a Daddy.” – a sixteen-year-old Haitian girl who was stuck in an abusive situation before coming to live at one of our partners’ church homes.
Thanks to you, she now has one. She goes to bed at night free from past hurts, experiencing the healing of the great Lover of her soul who can make all things new. What a privilege to serve Jesus by caring for His kids with you!