Remember to pack light and to pack your passport. If you must check a bag, mark it with colored duct tape and write “GO Project” in black marker on the tape. This will help you locate your bag in baggage claim.
IMPORTANT: If you take prescription medication, please be sure you carry them on your person during flights and in their original containers. Do not put them in your carry on bag, as it may be checked at the gate.
Haitian Tourist Fee: $10 US dollars is required by each traveler upon arrival in Haiti. Please bring one $10 bill for payment collection at the airport kiosk.
Here are things you want to bring with you:
- Bug wipes or repellent (with DEET is preferred)
- Hand sanitizer
- Casual clothes (two sets) and shoes
- Sunday clothes, including nice shoes (we will discuss this on our prep call)
- Ear plugs or sleep aid
- Cipro, Imodium, ibuprofin
- Water bottle
- Spending money + $10 bill for payment collection at the Port au Prince, Haiti airport kiosk
If you are carrying any gels, liquids, etc. they must be 3.4 oz. or less and put into a quart-size zip lock bag; one quart-size zip lock bag per carry-on.
Clothing and attire
MEN: Pants or shorts and short-sleeved shirts. Sunday church – collared shirt, no jeans, no need for a jacket. PJ’s – comfortable T-shirt and shorts. Closed toed shoes/sport sandal and shower flip-flops are also recommended.
WOMEN: Pants, capris, or long skirts and short-sleeved shirts (no tank tops). Sunday church – dress or long skirt. PJ’s – comfortable T-shirt and shorts. Closed toed shoes/sport sandal and shower flip-flops are also recommended.
Many travelers inquire about current needs for the children. Here is a list of on-going items to consider bringing as checked bags. Each person is allowed one 50 lb. bag.
- Twin sheets* (not white)
- Shoes: crocs, tennis shoes, church shoes*
- Baby wash/ wipes
- Shampoo (not travel size)
- Deodorant (for both men and women)
- Girls and boys church clothing
- Little boys clothing
- Size 12-16 boys clothing (both church and play)
* Priority request
Please pack small items ( like toothbrushes) separated and labeled by units of 25, 50 and 100 to help with distribution. For example, if a group brings 500 toothbrushes, make two bags labeled with 100, four bags labeled with 50, and four bags labeled with 25.